Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sandwich swap

I LOVE sandwiches.  I'm a total addict.  I love sandwich shops.  I don't mind paying 7-12 for a sandwich at various delis and the like.  I prefer places that have fresh veggies instead of prepackaged and stored-for-a-while-in-a-truck-during-shipment varieties.  Around Atlanta, I enjoy Lenny's Subs pepper relish -- YUM!

Unfortunately, I am not supposed to eat gluten (and wheat).  I have gone nearly 2 months with the whole gluten-free thing.  I've only cheated 2 or 3 times and it was recent; I felt a little queasy afterwards too.  I like how my body feels now, but I don't know if it's from the lack of gluten, dairy, or both.  Anyway, I've been looking for sandwich varieties that I can eat without feeling queasy afterwards.

A few weeks back, I walked into a Jimmy John's down the street; I figured I'd end up ordering a salad or something.  I don't expect lots of places to have gluten-free options, but I have noticed more them do now than a few years ago.  As I inspected their menu, I saw a "low-carb option:"  Lettuce Wrap.


I was intrigued!  So I ordered one.  :)  Loved it!  And it started giving me ideas of how to improve upon the idea.  I started taking them to work.

The idea is simple: HUGE leafs of iceberg lettuce with meat and whatever else.  Roll it up and enjoy.

Expanding on it has been a trial an error.  Still working on improving it as well.

My go-to combination has been 2 or 3 leaves of lettuce, mayo, bunch of honey ham, smoked turkey, mayo, kale sprouts, goat cheese.  This wrap gets kind thick, which I like.  :)  It is kind of making a sandwich with a tortilla.  BTW, I really enjoy mayonnaise -- can you tell?  Heh heh heh.

I haven't explored swapping the iceburg lettuce with romaine yet.  I would guess it can be done.  More nutritious for you, that's for sure.  There's something about the iceburg that tastes refreshing though.

I've found a gluten-free bread that is workable and tastes ok, but it's not the same.  Especially when you're a sourdough lover.  :)  Since I prefer to eat light & "clean," the lettuce works rather well.  Maybe in a couple of weeks, I'll try the romaine variation....

No comments:

Post a Comment