Translate

Friday, February 14, 2014

Mint + Klondike + Coconut


I used to LOVE Klondike Bars growing up.  They were a very special treat at my parents' house since a pack of the bars were a chunk of change in comparison to let's say...  Fudge bars, popsicles, sherbet, gallon of ice cream, etc.  In my adult life, I tended to buy them rarely as well.  But I did find the Reese's variety especially tasty!  The pack would not last through the week -- ever.

Well no more ice cream for me.  Kind of a bummer, but I've always been more of a sherbet and frozen yogurt fan myself.  I like to eat light, remember?  :)

Traditionally, I've not been much of a coconut fan, but since Thanksgiving, that has changed.  At least if it's fresh coconut, but artificially flavoured shit.

OMG, I've always been a sucker for York Patties.  It was the only candy at the register that I could not resist.  I've been a good girl and haven't had one in..... 5 months?  I love peppermint in general, but to mix it with chocolate?  Heaven!  If there is one ice cream I could eat above all others, it would be mint chocolate chip.

So when I was skimming through Juli Bauer's dessert section in her cookbook, OMG.  That's Paleo?, a picture caught my attention for her Chocolate Coconut Cups.  They looked amazing.  Atlanta finally thawed out yesterday, and it was so gorgeous out, so the boyfriend and I walked down to Fresh Market and I bought some shredded coconut (among other things....).  This morning I made banana bread (again) and while it was baking, I set out to make the cups.  :)

I think I over-processed the coconut mixture, but it still turned out workable.  The biggest problem I had was when I put the melted chocolate on top, it sank into the coconut mixture.  Needless to say mine didn't turn out NEARLY as pretty as Juli's.  Lol.

Oh!  And I added 1/2 tsp peppermint extract.  Looking at her pictures, I imagined biting into one and tasting mint, so I figured I would add some.  Since the stuff called for shredded coconut, coconut butter, AND coconut oil, I figured the coconut taste would be super strong; I think I could have added a splash more now that I've tasted it, but only because I love peppermint.  :)

They are QUITE delicious though.  I got a couple of ideas on how to tweak it so it comes out looking as tasty as it really is.

These are totally worth making and keeping on hand in the freezer.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment