Translate

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Random Hydration Thought

I used to work for a police department.  I went through the academy and became an officer -- all that jazz.  The academy was run similar to a military bootcamp.  We did heavy PT often.  Needless to say, while in class, we were constantly drinking water.  I was drinking so much water that I had to make a trip to the bathroom every 60 minutes.  I was drinking over 60 oz of water Mon-Fri (it was variable on the weekends).  Once on the road, I was drinking 50-60 oz of water most days of the week.

My trainers preached to us that we need to be drinking nothing but water.  One guy drank a soda with his lunch and the trainers made us PT until he (and a few of us) vomited.  Nice huh?  Lol.  One time we were doing defensive tactics training (high intensity, high energy, 8 hour workout basically) and I started having tunnel vision.  Odd because I had drank a shit-ton of water for the days leading up the class.  I ate a breakfast of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, banana, and a very tall glass of orange juice; it was enough for fuel, full of carbs, and light enough that I wouldn't barf it back up at the academy.  So it wasn't like I didn't eat anything.  But I fell over while we were doing up-downs.  One of the fire instructors came by and gave me an oxygen mask and checked my blood pressure.  No real sign of problems there.  He asked me how much fluids I had been drinking and I told him.  He then reached into his bag and gave me a sports drink.  I felt 100% better within 5 minutes of ingestion.

So I learned the importance of balancing water and sports drinks.  But the paramedic said that I needed to be drinking 80-100 oz of fluids each day.  It has stuck in my head for all these years and still has me puzzled.  I'm 108 lbs.  Why would I need 100 oz of water?

So today I randomly did a search with the question "is how much water you drink based on body weight?"  The first link was a useful one.  Granted, it only gives you an estimate based a long series of questions.  Mine said "58.5 oz."  That's roughly what I've been drinking the last month or so.  So I guess I'm on the right track.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment