Translate

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Holy cow -- I'm on to something here...

SO......

I FINALLY made that Mexican Hash Egg Bake from the OMG!  That's Paleo? cookbook (and blog).  I ended up modifying that sucker quite a bit, so I've kind of made it my own.  Check out the blog page for the original recipe (which I'm positive is super yummy!).  But I'm going to go over how I made it.  :)

I am not allowed to eat onions (nor its varieties).  Unfortunately, onions are insanely hard to "replace."  I've tried a few things, but nothing ever tastes the same.  Juli (the author of the blog and cookbook) suggested bell pepper with garlic.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb(ish) Chorizo
  • 1 14oz can of Diced Tomatoes w/Green Chillies
  • 1 small Sweet Potato (diced small)
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (diced small)
  • 2 Serrano Peppers (diced super small)
  • 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
  • 1 heaping tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano (mine was VERY generous -- heaping is an understatement)
  • 5 eggs
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.  Heat up a skillet (I used an enormous frying pan) under medium heat.
  2. Heat the oil and garlic until fragrant.
  3. Throw in the sweet potato, red bell pepper, and serrano peppers.  Stir/toss around so the oil coats everything (helps keeping stuff from sticking to the pan) and the garlic is thoroughly mixed in.  Cover.  About 2-4 min.
  4. Put the chorizo in the pan/skillet and break it up real good.  It'll take some effort.  :)  My arms were burning by the time I was done.  Lol.  Mix it well with the veggies and garlic.  Cover and leave to cook for 5-8 min, stirring occasionally.
  5. Sprinkle the seasonings & tomatoes and mix well.  Cover and let cook for 2-4 minutes.
  6. Sweet potatoes should be tender by now.  NOTE: I cut mine super small so it didn't take long to get tender.  The bigger the pieces, the longer it'll take.
  7. If you're not using a cast iron skillet (like me!), then transfer the hash over to a baking dish.  I used a glass 9"x13" dish (I think that's the right dimensions...).
  8. Use a spoon to press little craters where you want the eggs to go.  Crack the eggs in your little craters.
  9. The blog/cookbook says to bake for 5-8 min depending how runny you want your eggs.  I had mine in there 9 min and the whites were still clear.  :/  So I raised the temp to 400F and baked for another 7 min and they were perfect.
  10. DONE!

Holy shit!  This was so amazing!  My bf was thrilled!  I was amazed!  He loves spicy foods, and this had a good amount of kick to it.  Almost too spicy for me, but he said he wouldn't mind it being spicier.  Lol.  It's easy to add more heat: use jalapenos, habaneros, or ghost peppers instead of serrano.  Or use more serrano peppers!

So many flavors!  It was so good.  And addictive!  I had some for lunch today and it was just as good the second time!  WOOHOO!

I generally have no idea what I'm doing in the kitchen, but I'm flabbergasted at how good this turned out.  Thanks to Juli at www.paleomg.com for providing the idea/concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment